[Fedora-livecd-list] Use of lokkit in livecd-builder

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Aug 28 13:36:22 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 09:25 -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 08:44 -0400, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> >> The F9 version of livecd-tools usese /usr/sbin/lokkit to enable and
> >> disable the firewall. There is a FIXME near it to suport the rest of the
> >> options which lokkit takes. The current implementation executes this in
> >> the chroot environment, so forces several packages to be deployed into
> >> the image when it is built. Since I would be curious in reducing the
> >> package set for the images which are built, I am curious if there are
> >> plans around any of the following:
> >>
> >> 1) Remove the use of lokkit and instead directly manipulate the files
> >> (or perhaps use augeas).
> >
> > Not really.  We use lokkit so that when things change, there's only one
> > implementation that needs changing.  And this is a *good* thing.  And
> > augeas would be seen as a far more "one-off" dep than lokkit at this
> > point to most of the world.
>
> I can understand that... and I expected that was the reason. And I
> assume since the whole hting is done in the chroot, it would be
> difficult to move this part out of the chroot?

Absolutely impossible.  It would require that something outside the
chroot know the details (past, present, and future) of how to configure
something inside the chroot.

> >> 2) Look to break up system-config-firewall-tui so that lokkit is a
> >> separate package with less dependencies.
> >
> > The big dep that looks trimmable is rhpl as it's just used for
> > translation stuff (... and I want to get things off of using
> > rhpl.translate and just using the gettext module directly anyway).
> > There's not really anything else which is even feasible to remove
>
> I scanend it, and if all you need is lokkit then the following seem
> "unnecessary"
[snip]
> I agree they are needed if you want the tui, but if there ware other
> config paths.. then these are not necessary.

lokkit *IS* the tui.  Removing that would be like saying "well, let's
take out bash's interactive mode because that's not strictly necessary"
as you also use it just to run scripts

Jeremy