[Fedora-livecd-list] Use of lokkit in livecd-builder

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Aug 28 14:21:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 15:07 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > > 2) Look to break up system-config-firewall-tui so that lokkit is a
> > > separate package with less dependencies.
> >
> > The big dep that looks trimmable is rhpl as it's just used for
> > translation stuff (... and I want to get things off of using
> > rhpl.translate and just using the gettext module directly anyway).
> > There's not really anything else which is even feasible to remove
>
> It is not worth worrying about rhpl. The killer piece that causes pain
> for oVirt in this scenario is the presense of python. Unless that's
> killable, the rest is just a rounding error.

python is going to continue to creep its way into oVirt because it's a
basic part of Fedora (and RHEL) systems.  And thus, basic parts of the
infrastructure of the system get written (and will continue to get
written) with it

> The way we currently do it is include lokkit packages at first, and then
> use a %post script to uninstall python and everything using it. Unless
> someone wants to re-implement entire of lokkit in C, I don't see any
> other viable approach other than this uninstall in %post.

The irony is that lokkit was originally written in C.  But to add all of
the functionality that people continued to want, it was rewritten in
python years ago :)

And really, the advantages that you get of being able to do things in
python far far far outweighs the amount of disk space it occupies, even
in a minimal environment like oVirt.

Jeremy