[Fedora-livecd-list] Allowing livecd images large than 4GiB

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Dec 16 17:33:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:19:15 -0500,
  Bryan J Smith <bjs at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 12:10 -0500, Bryan J Smith wrote:
> > 2)  Does El'Torito support booting from UDF media, instead of ISO 9660
> > Yellow Book tracks?  Or ISOLinux for that matter?
>
> BTW, what did you test on?
> I could see this working on EFI systems.
> There are always non PC BIOS considerations.
> If you tested on PC BIOS, which one?
> Just curious.

I tested it on a dual athlon system. The last motherboard update was something
on the order of 5 years ago. So I would expect things to work on a wide
range of systems.

My reading of the documentation was that the iso image looks like iso9660
except the file size for the isoimage is reduced and hence is inconsistent
with the udf information. The documentation said that to access the file
you would need to mount it with the udf or ufs drivers. My expectation
is the bios never gets that far as it only needs to see the boot information.
Once things are booting and linux is running I wouldn't expect problems.