Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] bootloader --append="noapic" does nothing?

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:

Yes, should be fine. I'm just trying to rule out "we broke it moving all the code around" as rawhide/current git right now has a lot moved around :) Looking at the rev, though, it doesn't look like we listen to --append (although we probably should)

Great. (-:

Running with noapic is a catastrophic failure for machines too. The right thing is to get the kernel bug fixed. Otherwise, you're just changing out one problem set for another one. And the kernel running in noapic mode is far far far far far less tested across hardware than the defaults.

How depressing. (-;

Unrelated issue: the images I generate last night based on Fedora 8 + Fedora 8 updates fail to boot, complaining presumably from the initrd:

Has 2.6.24 landed in Fedora 8 updates? I vaguely remember having to make a tweak for it to work with livecd-tools, but I'm not remembering what that tweak was anymore

Based on the build logs + the working discs I've generated, kernels as late as kernel-2.6.23.15-137.fc8.i686.rpm did work.

FWIW, http://buildbot.creativecommons.org:8080/builders/livecontent%20builder/builds/76/steps/compile/logs/stdio is the build log for the one that failed, and http://buildbot.creativecommons.org:8080/builders/livecontent%20builder/builds/74/steps/compile/logs/stdio is the log for the last one that worked.

Curiously, they have the same kernel version.

-- Asheesh.

--
The faster we go, the rounder we get.
		-- The Grateful Dead