[Fedora-livecd-list] Simple persistance idea

don vogt donvogt2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 20 20:47:11 UTC 2008

I've seen messages about complete persistence, which
is, make sure all
changes to the filesystem are persistent.

However, for end user tasks it might be sufficient to
offer persistence
of the /home directory.
Kai Said----------------------------------------
Has the following idea been proposed already?
I figure it would be easy to do.

During boot, scan for a partition with a given label,
say, "fedoralivehome".
If present, that partition gets mounted as /home.
As a consequence, all user settings and documents are
kept across boots.
An usb stick could be partitioned to have the second
partition as /home.

Does this idea make sense?

Thanks,
Kai
Kai said--------------------------------------------

That is essentially the way Centos -5.0 works
(worked?)
although it saves /etc also. I posted this on this
list as a suggestion quite a while ago, but i don't
know what happened. I supposed that people smarter
than me had better ideas. The CentOS implemention is
pretty simple. They put a change in the local startup
init script that looks for a set name. aproximatlty
CENTOSBACKUP and then untars what is in it. On exit
another script in the shutdown sequence asks if you
want to save your data and if so where to save it. If
you answer yes the script tars /home and /etc into
that file. Since it is open software, I guess you
could just pirate the parts of the script you need.
 There must be many holes in this procedure. I am
going back in my hole.