[Fedora-livecd-list] using %post -nochroot

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sat Jan 19 20:15:32 UTC 2008

dcw wrote:
> Using livecd-creator (ver. 13-4) I have made a livecd with a recompiled kernel
> and it boots and works. I am now at the point of copying some configuration
> files from the hard drive to the livecd using the livecd-creator program.
>
> The following method works:
> %post
> echo "nameserver 10.10.2.99" > /etc/resolv.conf
>
> but I would like to use:
> %post -nochroot
> cp /etc/resolv.conf > /somewhere/etc/resolv.conf
>
> I have not been able to determine what 'somewhere' should be.
>
> I have never programed in python but I have looked through the livecd-creator
> program and made several 'best' guesses but I have not found anything that
> works. I have also searched the internet and I have found nothing that
> addresses this.
>
> The documentation on
> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-postinstallconfig.html
> says to:
>
> %post --nochroot
> cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/sysimage/etc/resolv.conf
>
> /mnt/sysimage does not exist.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Yeah, documentation is lacking right now.  I see that Tim and Jeremy
answered this while I was pasting this mail together, but since this
response adds a bit more, I'll go ahead and send it.

Here is the same help I just gave Mike Dickson a couple days ago-

--------------
1) to add some arbitrary file (300M mpeg) to the resulting LiveCD ISO image-

in your own config/kickstart, you can add a section like the following
(note, you can just add this, as there can be multiple of these %post
sections)

%post --nochroot

mkdir $INSTALL_ROOT/usr/share/extramedia
cp /home/mdickson/some.mpeg \
$INSTALL_ROOT/usr/share/extramedia/

mkdir $LIVE_ROOT/momedia
cp /home/mdickson/someother.mpeg \
$LIVE_ROOT/momedia/

%end

Note, the first part, will add the file to the root filesystem that is
visible when you boot up the livecd/usb.  And as a result will be
compressed during the build process (but obviously not well, as mpeg is
already compressed as much as it can).

The second part (using LIVE_ROOT instead of INSTALL_ROOT), will add the
file to the cdrom filesysem, uncompressed.  As such, the user could for
instance easily see the file if they dropped the cdrom into a windows
system (on the cdrom, under the top level folder 'momedia').

-dmc