[Fedora-livecd-list] Portuguese pt_PT spins

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Jun 3 12:25:47 UTC 2008

Pedro Silva wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I pulled the latest .ks through git and changed the files accordingly to
> create pt_PT localized spins of fedora.
>
> Attached are the following spins:
>
> - Electronic Lab
> - KDE
> - XFCE
> - Developer
> - Games
>
> Just has Jeroen said, on gnome based livecds, I added the %post hack for
> the xorg.conf keyboard stuff. I think these are electronic-lab,
> developer and games.

Hi Pedro,

I've added the kickstarts to the kickstart pool, thanks

> Also regarding localized versions of software, does @portguese-support
> flag pull localized dependecies of packages? Although I can't find it
> now, I think childsplay used to have a childsplay-sounds-pt package. Is
> this pulled by @portuguese-support flag?

The @*-support groups have conditional requirements. For example, if
openoffice.org is in the package set, @*-support will pull in the
appropriate openoffice.org-langpack.

> One more thing I remembered, Portugal has two timezones (Lisboa/Mainland
> and Açores Islands), does it make sense to create another spin to cover
> both timezones? What about countries with multiple timezones?

This is a very good question, which I haven't thought about (yet).
Localized spins in this sense is hard. We'd want to prevent having a
million kickstarts just for each and every combination of keyboard,
timezone, and possibly dialect, and so forth, just to not confuse people
any more then we need to. Creating a localized spin should just be as
easy as possible. I can imagine we would either;

1) provide a little commentary section in the localized kickstart where
one timezone is the default, but another timezone entry is commented out
so people can easily enable it, or

2) point people to loading the kickstart in system-config-kickstart
letting them adjust (all) settings and save the changes, or

3) having additional options to livecd-tools / revisor to override what
is in the supplied kickstart.

I'm not sure which of these would be the more appropriate way to go.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip