[Fedora-livecd-list] Persistance Overlay

Pedro Silva pedrofsilva at netcabo.pt
Wed Jun 4 18:12:32 UTC 2008

Hi!

I haven't grasped the persistance overlay usage yet.

I usually create/update a personal spin every week and install it to a
usb stick. Since F9, I've also been using the persistance flag. I don't
use my liveusb everyday but I like to keep it updated and in my pocket.

Last weekend, I updated my spin and installed on the usb stick. Halfway
through, I noticed I had forgotten the overlay flag in
livecd-iso-to-disk command. I thought, "well, i guess it will be
detected since it was created previously...".

Yesterday, I booted my usb stick at work and upon boot I can see a
message saying no persistance overlay found. Err... my best guess was
wrong.

So, how does the persistance work:

- Persistance is created with livecd-iso-to-disk, if I run it again
without the overlay flag, previous persistance overlay is deleted?

- Persistance is created with livecd-iso-to-disk, further runs of
livecd-iso-to-disk won't detect previous overlay?

I honestly looked for more info on the fedora wiki and man pages, but I
couldn't find a wiki page or a man page about it. If these don't exist,
I would be happy to help build one.

Thanks and best regards,

--
Pedro Silva