[Fedora-livecd-list] livecd-iso-to-disk man page

Pedro Silva pedrofsilva at netcabo.pt
Sat Jun 7 07:45:04 UTC 2008

Sex, 2008-06-06 às 10:11 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange escreveu:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 08:50:00AM +0100, Pedro Silva wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I started the man page for the livecd-iso-to-disk, I used this guide[1]
> > to do it.
> >
> > Since this is my first man page ever, shout if I made some terribly
> > mistake.
>
> > ???[1] http://www.schweikhardt.net/man_page_howto.html
> >
> > Thoughts, tips?
>
> Personally I always recommend avoiding NROFF as your master format when
> writing  man pages since it is seriously unpleasant to read as an author.
> I don't know what Jeremy's thoughts are on the topic, but even though this
> is python code, you might like to consider writing it using POD (Perl's
> native documentation format) which is a easily readable plain text markup
> you can embed in shell/python/perl/etc source files, or just have in a
> standalone text file. You can process this using pod2man to generate the
> NROFF formatted man page, as well as also having access to pod2html to
> produce online HTML version, or pod2text for a completely plain text version.

Daniel, thanks for input.

I'm happy to jump format as long as I land in a format I can use and is
accepted by other Fedora projects.

The HOWTO that I used was the first hit in google with "how to make a
man page linux". After reading your message, I searched for this kind of
info in fedora's wiki but I don't think there is any page about a
"standard" way of doing man pages for fedora.

If there are no objections, I'll make livecd-tool's man pages using POD
markup language.

Jeremy, your input about the sections will also be taken into
account. :)

Best regards,

--
Pedro Silva