[Fedora-livecd-list] uncompressed size

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Wed Jun 25 05:26:21 UTC 2008

Skunk Worx wrote:
> I'm using F9 and the livecd-tools-017.1-1.fc9.i386.rpm (from koji).
>
> When I try to build my iso from a config, I get a list of rpm names and
> sizes, then livecd-creator bails out.
>
> My set of rpms is large and apparently exceeds the 4096L * 1024 * 1024
> default value set in imgcreate.py. I found this by removing some
> packages and seeing a successful completion.
>
> The older version of livecd-creator, used in F7, allowed me to alter the
> uncompressed-size via a command line argument. As a test, I added 512 to
>  the 4096L and it seems to create the iso successfully with all desired
> packages.
>
> Does anyone have an opinion of how "dangerous" it is to change the
> default uncompressed size this way? I don't want to continue down this
> path if what I'm doing is considered grossly wrong.

Actually I'm pretty sure these days it's far more harmless.  The
difference being that squashfs now supports sparse files more
efficiently.  Really I'm thinking more to my obscure case of wanting
both that(ext3fs size) customizable* as well as the virtual disk size
customizable.  What the latter gets you is the ability to resize2fs
upward online post boot (useful for very non-typical usage).

(*) jkatz- I'm too busy/lazy to look at the code, but is the size now
customizable via the intuitive kickstart directives?  (e.g. size for /
partition)

-dmc