[Fedora-livecd-list] pre-install scripts and syslinux

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 03:34:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 19:04 -0500, David Straub wrote:
>   I would like to ask about two small issues regarding the livecd-tools
> package.  First, I noticed that kickstart pre-install scripts are not supported
> by the livecd-tools package.  I personally find pre-install scripts to be
> useful.  Is there a specific reason for it being excluded that I did not see?

The main reason has been that there are ... interesting questions about
the environment it should run in.  What are you using them for and maybe
that's enough to talk me into it :-)

>   A second minor concern: syslinux is added as a required package for all x86
> images.  I have been using the scripts to create rawhide images for
> embedded-ish systems where I would like to save as much space as possible on
> the image (while still using Fedora, with a minimal number of workarounds).
> Would it be possible/practical to add syslinux--and possibly the other boot
> loaders--to the dependencies of livecd-tools to use the system's files, and
> remove it from the image's required packages?

The reason you want to use it from within the image is in case you need
a newer version of syslinux for certain functionality.  That then lets
you build images taking advantage of new system features without
requiring updates to your builder.

Jeremy