[Fedora-livecd-list] RFE: allow multi live medium

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sun Nov 30 23:17:14 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 22:51 +0100, Till Maas wrote:

>>> 2) How do we want to namespace so that we can better support multiples
>>> and have them identifiable?
>> I guess the easiest way would be to use the name of the iso/torrent file for
>> each live image, e.g.:
>>
>> LiveOS/F10-i686-Live
>> LiveOS/F10-i686-Live-KDE
>>
>> or even seperate directories in the root of the filesystem.
>
> This could work and is definitely better than some of the other things
> that have been suggested in the past.  It'd require keeping some
> knowledge of the original label/filename when we do the transform in
> livecd-iso-to-disk/liveusb-creator.  And if go this route, it probably
> makes the most sense to do it in all cases and not just as a special
> case.

FWIW, the method I opted for in my viros project was to pass the
label/filename as a kernel boot cmdline parameter.  It's not that
complicated.

>> What I would
>> really enjoy would be a generic bootloader that would recognize any iso image
>> on the medium and would allow to chainboot them. I believe at least
>> chainbooting iso images is possible with grub2, but I did not yet test it.

Yes, that would be cool, and I do think I tried this with grub2 a long
time ago.  I'm pretty sure you still need initrd/bootscript support, as
I don't think the chainloader does quite so much magic that the
resulting OS sees a virtual cdrom drive.  I.e. the initrd/bootscript
still needs extra logic to dig into the specific iso and get at its
specific rootfs.

-dmc