[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: Seemingly divergent netboot/disklessrc and livecd/mayflower for initrd, init, etc...

Bryan J Smith bjs at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 17:18:35 UTC 2008

> For stateless? Obviously the issue here is no easy support for
> any client-side state specifics, although you may be to graft
> something in.  Not to mention the issues of having the whole
> FS be pseudo-read-write, which can lead to memory exhaustion
> if you're not careful.

Yes, I'm well aware.

> Right, and since the livecd stuff was finished *after* that, there's
> no wonder you're running into issues.

Which brings me back to Rahul's EPEL livecd-tools 013-5 versus the
"Stateless Tech Preview" in RHEL 5.2 (really anything 5.1+).  I see it's
looking more like a merger of the two.

I'm now looking at the mkinitrd of Fedora 9 versus RHEL 5.  Is it work
generating a patch (which will have obvious conditionals) against newer
mkinitrd developments (such as the Fedora 10 versoin) so it can work for
RHEL 5?

Or would everyone agree it's probably not a good idea to try to work
something for RHEL 5?  My idea was to replace mayflower with something
for RHEL 5 now, and then work on adding those features to mkinitrd for
possibly RHEL 6 (or some future development) when I have time.

I know this is not the only client that is going to want some of these
options.

--
Bryan J Smith - Senior Consultant - Red Hat GPS SE US
mailto:bjs at redhat.com      +1 (407) 489-7013 (Mobile)