[Fedora-livecd-list] Re: Seemingly divergent netboot/disklessrc and livecd/mayflower for initrd, init, etc...

Bryan J Smith bjs at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 18:26:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 13:18 -0400, Bryan J Smith wrote:
> Or would everyone agree it's probably not a good idea to try to work
> something for RHEL 5?

First off, er um, this came out wrong.  ;)

What I mean to say is "would everyone agree anything I do for RHEL 5 is
probably not going to be useful for anything else?"  I'm stuck with RHEL
5 for my client, end of story there, until RHEL 6.  ;)

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 13:39 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> It's very much not the right idea to start doing the work on RHEL5.

Sorry, re-read the previous (now corrected).  My apologies for my prior
wording.

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 13:39 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> If there's functionality that people want, you want to start working on it
> against the upstream development tree.  Not against a two year old
> branch.  Then, once you get something which is working acceptably
> upstream and meets the requirements, it's reasonable to assess the
> feasibility of a backport.

I wish I could start that way.

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 13:39 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> Doing it ANY OTHER WAY all but assures the fact that you'll end up
> having to do the work all over again against a new version.  And thus
> the cycle ends up repeating itself endlessly.
> For an analogy -- if you were to start working on an entirely new
> kernel subsystem, would you do it against 2.6.18 or would you do it
> against Linus's git?

I agree with you completely on this.  Unfortunately, I don't have the
time and focus.  When I'm past this, I will certainly rebase for
upstream -- especially for (and likely very prior) to RHEL 6.

--
Bryan J Smith - Senior Consultant - Red Hat GPS SE US
mailto:bjs at redhat.com      +1 (407) 489-7013 (Mobile)