[Fedora-livecd-list] RFE: implant locale information into isos like anaconda implants md5sums

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 22:04:15 UTC 2008

2008/10/20 Till Maas <opensource at till.name>:
> Hiyas,
>
> I have an idea to make it easier for people to create an iso image with the
> desired locale and keyboard layout for local distribution.
>
> The anaconda project created a tool "isomd5sum" that somehow implants the
> md5sum of major parts of the iso into the iso file itself. I did not yet find
> the time to investigate how they do it. I would find it very useful, if the
> same technique could be used to store the default locale and keyboard layout
> within the iso image for live cds.
>
> What do you think about this idea?
Hello !

The "whole" problematic of localized LiveCD isn't only that language,
keyboard, date (but also firefox/thunderbird dictionaries) are thoses
from a given locale option.
But also that translation texts (/usr/share/locale/* ) are also
removed to only keep the desired locale. This will save around 200Mo
from a 700Mo international spin. (tested in the fr_FR LiveCD case).
So maybe it could be possible to store locales in a special place so
it can be removed easily from the international spin when the iso is
getting transferered to the (LiveUSB) device.
But for now i'm still using (from the fedora-livecd-desktop-fr_FR.ks ):
%pre
# Only install the needed locales
mkdir -p /etc/rpm
echo "%_install_langs en:fr:fr_FR:fr-FR" > /etc/rpm/macros.lang

Nicolas (kwizart)