[Fedora-livecd-list] How to create live dvd? (livecd-creator fail)

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Jan 1 15:51:27 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 12:14:53 +0100,
  Valent Turkovic <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> I used to be able to create live DVD with Fedora 8 and 9 using
> livecd-creator tool but now I can't do it anymore with Fedora 10.
>
> I get an error that there isn't enough space to create image and
> livecd-creator fails.
>
> I used to do it without problem, so maybe the packages have grown or I
> added more packages than there is space for them. I see that
> /dev/loop0 is created and the size of that virtual partition is only
> 3GB:
> /dev/loop0            3.0G  602M  2.4G  21%
> /home/temp/imgcreate-KWfqq9/install_root
>
> I guess that when space runs out in that partition livecd-creator
> fails. Am I right?

There are two space limits that I am aware of. One is the uncompressed
file system that the build is done in and the other is the limit to
the size of the compressed file system on the media.

The first limit is controlled by the part command. The recommended size
for DVDs is 8192, but that can end up being your limit if you are getting
reasonable compression.

The second limit is 4GiB and is due to a restriction of file sizes of the
iso9660 format. You can get around this using udf instead. I am working
on patches to livecd-creator to switch to udf when this limit is reached.
They probably won't in Fedora before the alpha. But if you do go over
the 4 GiB limit, you can look at bug 476696 for a patch that will
unconditionally use udf.