[Fedora-livecd-list] Overlay File Health?

Kam kam at kamsalisbury.com
Tue Jan 27 22:00:00 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----

From:  Stewart Adam <maillist at diffingo.com>
Subj:  Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] Overlay File Health?
Date:  Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:45 am
Size:  1K
To:  fedora-livecd-list at redhat.com

On 1/27/09 9:21 AM, Forrest Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 06:42 -0500, Kam Salisbury wrote:
>> How do I see how much space is used in the overlay file (Fedora USB)?
>>
>> [liveuser at localhost ~]$ df -h
>> Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/mapper/live-rw   3.0G  2.2G  771M  75% /
>> tmpfs                1013M  288K 1013M   1% /dev/shm
>> /dev/sdb1              15G  8.3G  6.8G  55% /mnt/live
>> varcacheyum          1013M     0 1013M   0% /var/cache/yum
>> /tmp                 1013M  104K 1013M   1% /tmp
>> vartmp               1013M     0 1013M   0% /var/tmp
>>
>> The above command output does not seem to reflect the 2GB overlay.
>>
>> Is there a way to output "just" the overlay contents? Something like 'du -hs' (du shows what /dev/mapper shows).
>
> Kam,
>
> I wrote a script to check the status of the overlay (attached).  I'll
> see if I can get it included for future use.
Has anyone else had the overlay become corrupted when it gets full? I had
this problem too... df -h said I had a bunch of free space so I installed
lots of extra packages but then I got a error message saying "read only
filesystem" I after that I couldn't run "rm" or even "ls". When I rebooted
from the USB key again, it complained about logical buffer errors and I had
to regenerate the overlay to fix it.

Stewart

Hi Stewart, I am hoping to understand the issue enough to build a suitable application for montoring the overall overlay health including free space. Something simple such as green, yellow, red light in a task bar applet.

--
Kam
http://kamsalisbury.com