Re: [Fedora-livecd-list] 3 more megs if we get rid of redundant copy of kernel?

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Wednesday, July 15 2009, Douglas McClendon said:
In my livecd generation tools I go to a bit of extra hassle to play symlink games with /boot/vmlinuz-$(uname -r), such that it doesn't get put into the squashfs, since a copy of it is in the container iso/usb filesystem.

Maybe we want to do that for f12? It is a bit messy, but I think it's worth it for 3/700M.

Nope, it breaks the ability to easily install by copying over the
filesystem.

I grant the 'easily' part. But adding a bit of complexity to the installer to dereference a symlink and get the file from /mnt/live isn't that tough.

 And when you consider that someone may be booting via pxe
and then trying to install (see livecd-iso-to-pxeboot), there's no
guarantee that we can get that file back.

In this case, isn't the kernel in the massive initrd that gets downloaded and booted? Could you have some logic in the initrd that detects PXE boot, and makes sure to save a copy of the kernel?

I guess I'm just of the mindset of looking at the 700M livecd and seeing two copies of a 3M file, and thinking that somehow there is a way to bypass that redundancy (even for all corner cases, but I admit, I'm probably not familiar with all of them).

-dmc