[Fedora-livecd-list] Problem with bootloader options in kickstart file

Bryan J Smith bjs at redhat.com
Fri Jul 31 16:21:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 11:29 -0400, harry.devine at faa.gov wrote:
> When the CD boots I get the timeout value counting down from 5, and
> when I hit Tab to look at the kernel options on the command line, all
> I have is "rhgb quiet" as stated in the documentation.  As a test, I
> tried putting "apci=force" as the kernel parameter and that isn't
> there either.  I can manually enter "blacklist=iTCO_wdt" on the
> command line and that works, but the --append option seems to do
> nothing at all.

Some earlier versions of the livecd-creator ignore this option and it
was a known bug.  Related thread:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-livecd-list/2008-August/msg00048.html

LiveCD-Tools 013 approach, and most of the pre-Fedora 9/10 related
changes, have been more radically changed, and are far more capable.  In
other words, don't expect LiveCD-Tools to be fixed for Fedora 8.

Indeed, I see the last version released for F8 is 013.1:
  http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/updates/8/i386.newkey/livecd-tools-013.1-1.fc8.i386.rpm

At most, you could try rebuilding LiveCD-Tools from another distro
release to see if it fixes the issue.  Of course, it will likely break
because of various changes in the distro.  I know there were significant
changes in the distro from Fedora 8 to 9 which LiveCD-Tools 017 relies
on differently than 013.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/9/SRPMS.newkey/livecd-tools-017.3-1.fc9.src.rpm

Another option, which will likely work but may not fix your problem, is
to try LiveCD-Tools 013-8 release from the Extra Packages for Enterprise
Linux (EPEL), namely for Red Hat Enterprise Linux Release 5 (EL5).

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/SRPMS/livecd-tools-013-8.el5.1.src.rpm

For the .src.rpm files, I assume you know, download, run "rpmbuild
--rebuild" and use the resulting RPM in /usr/src/redhat (assuming you
haven't changed the default RPM macros).

Again, 013-8 from EPEL it should work, but I don't know if it addresses
your issue.  Then again Rahul may have modified it for some EL5
differences, and it may not work.  I've never tried it myself.

> Is this broken in this version?  I know some may say "upgrade to F11"
> or something like that, but that's not really possible for us at this
> time.  We're working towards that, but I'd like to be able to
> blacklist that module during the LiveCD creation.

Considering Fedora 8 went EOL and has had no security fixes since
shortly into 2008, you should consider either a newer Fedora** release
or Red Hat Enterprise Linux Release 5.**

-- Bryan

**NOTE:  I understand there are other considerations.  Please contact
myself off-list if you would like to discuss.  I deal with these
all-the-time, especially in government.

--
Bryan J Smith       Senior Consultant       Red Hat, Inc.
Professional Consulting  http://www.redhat.com/consulting