multilib fun - devel packages

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Dec 9 23:32:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 19:55 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Let me ask a silly question here : Why do we want to encourage people to
> build 32bit stuff on 64bit installs?

On PPC we use mostly 32-bit packages, because 64-bit is fairly pointless
for most things. The choice of ppc32 vs. ppc64 isn't the same as the
choice of ia32 vs. amd64, because in the ppc case the 32-bit option is
still actually a sane architecture with a sane number of registers --
whereas on amd64 you gain more by using the extra registers than you
lose to the natural inefficiency of 64-bit code.

--
dwmw2