Core BrainStorm

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Sat Dec 10 08:32:08 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 00:23 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Comments? Flames? Not at all what you were looking for?

More thousand yard stare comments:

I much like the idea of customized iso sets consisting of various core +
extra packages.  This however is a logistical nightmare from a QA point
of view.  How can we guess that a given random package set (made at a
random point after release time) will actually be installable?  Also
this shouldn't stop us from distributing a few pre-made sets.

As for the trademark stuff, Greg and I have cooked up some pretty good
thoughts on this, and I'm just waiting for him to put it into usable
text and post it to marketing list I do believe.  I think we've covered
the case where a vendor would toss their own packages into the mix when
making their installer.

I suppose a question to ask, once we get to the point where we're making
specialized disks out of core+extras, and to get to that point we make
extras look more like core, what is the benefit of moving packages into
extras?  Save iso space?  We'll be doing that by rolling targetted isos
instead of everything possible.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: