Core BrainStorm

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Dec 10 18:23:12 UTC 2005

Am Samstag, den 10.12.2005, 11:43 -0500 schrieb Greg DeKoenigsberg:
> Wow.  Thoughtful note, Bill.

Yeah, thanks Bill.

> On Sat, 10 Dec 2005, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > - brand the universe of Core + Extras as Fedora, and generally refer
> >   to that, as opposed to Fedora Core and Fedora Extras
>[...]
> I think we'll need to figure out how to brand (Core+Extras) and build
> brand usage policies around that entity.  Jesse Keating and I talked
> this week about precisely that.  But I don't think that just calling it
> "Fedora" will work, for precisely the reason you point out.

Quoting out of order here:

>>...while reexaming the entirety of Core based on these criteria could
> > remove various larger things. Examples of the former could include
> > things like privoxy or dtach; examples of the latter could include
> > larger things ranging from Jonas to KDE to Ruby.
>
> Obviously, the "favorite collections" idea must be rock-solid before we
> can even consider the notion of "Kedora".

Why not just Fedora Gnome and Fedora KDE? We avoid both the "KDE is a
second class desktop for Fedora" problem and the name "Kedora" this
way.

And maybe Fedora Server for a version without GUI. Just "Fedora Linux"
could also work, but I don't like that idea very much.

> > - Support for languages not deemed as being fully supported (whether
> >   by average translation percentage, or some other metric) would
> >   exist solely in Extras.
> >
> >   Frankly, I think this is a bad idea, but I know that others
> >   disagree with me.
>
> Why do you think it's a bad idea?

I'm one of those who think moving some (most?) languages packages to
extras is a good idea. But...

> > However, it's my opinion that a lot of implementation of the latter
> > category should wait until we have install-time support for multiple
> > repostiories, and potentially support for CD grouping of the same.

...this must be done first.

Just my 2 cent.

CU
thl