Core BrainStorm

Jeff Garzik jgarzik at redhat.com
Sat Dec 10 21:41:48 UTC 2005

On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 12:23:09AM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:

[snip -- great note]

> However, it's my opinion that a lot of implementation of the latter
> category should wait until we have install-time support for multiple
> repostiories, and potentially support for CD grouping of the same.

To flog my own personal pet peeve:

Install-time support for multiple repos is a big deal, for security reasons.

Once the base system is installed, and the user reboots, they find out they
have to download an additional 300MB+ of updates, before they have a secure
system.  Not only does the user install many packages twice (once at install,
once during update) but there is a race window between 'unpatched' and
'patched' that can only be solved by installing updates at install time,
rather than the not-updated packages.

I would also like to see

(a) trying several mirrors during install, to select the fastest ones.
yum can select among a list of mirrors, why not the installer?

(b) having yum use the fast mirrors picked during install, by default.
yum picks random mirrors, which with my luck, often winds up being
somewhere 3000+ miles away from me, over a tiny and overloaded link.

(c) if it isn't already, the installer and yum should use HTTP/1.1 pipelining
to avoid tons of DNS lookups and HTTP connections.  This was a severe problem
a year ago, when I had a slow DNS server.  Need to re-test to see if its a
problem now.  Using >1 HTTP connections would also be nice.

Regards,

	Jeff