libxml v1 dependencies (was: Re: multilib fun - devel packages)

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Sat Dec 17 07:12:24 UTC 2005

Daniel Veillard (veillard at redhat.com) said:
>   Well I would feel way better if we weren't shipping devel packages for
> what I know as broken, deprecated for nearly 4 years code base. Ship the
> library if you really want it, but please drop the -devel from the CDs,
> I really really don't want to take the risk of people accidentally using
> it.

I know how much you care about this one issue, but I think changing the
mechanics of how Core is distributed for one library is going overboard.
(there's no such thing as not-on-CD core packages.)

Realistically, there's plenty of stuff we ship that sane third-party
developers shouldn't be building against. We should have some sort
of defined developer platform (i.e., this is what you *should* use.)
That would help more than playing with what is packaged where.

Bill