some packages that can be removed from Core

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Dec 20 12:18:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 06:13 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 11:56:01PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > perl-libxml-perl
> [...]
> > perl-XML-LibXML
> > perl-XML-LibXML-Common
>
>   Hum, I wonder the level of code duplication there..., I know perl-XML-LibXML
> is a maintained libxml2 binding, I assume perl-XML-LibXML-Common is just a
> split (maybe for perl-XML-LibXSLT)

perl-XML-LibXML-Common is a base package of perl-XML-LibXML, being
shared between several perl modules of the perl-XML-LibXML family, from
the same author as perl-XML-LibXML (Christian Glahn).
For detail, see http://search.cpan.org/~phish

Whether it is actively maintained, is arguable. It's latest changes date
back to 04/04, but this doesn't mean much, because these packages "just
work".

Several other perl modules from Bill's list also are
base-packages/dependencies of perl-XML-LibXML, eg. perl-XML-SAX and
perl-XML-NamespaceSupport.

I.e. lurking in Bill's list is a proposal to remove a tree of
perl-modules forming a popular libxml2 perl-interface ;)

Ralf