libxml v1 dependencies

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Dec 21 03:10:16 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 08:29 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> IMO, there is no reason to put GNOME in a privileged position.
> Those parts of it which are requirement of a "minimal install" are
> inevitable but anything else is waste of disc space. The same applies to
> GCC, python, Perl, ... simply any package.

GNOME is "first among equals" to be sure - it's what we have the most
expertise with, it's what we support and the GNOME project has a design
goal that's consistent with Red Hat's own.  There's a natural alignment.
So if the Red Hat folks decide that we want to do a single CD install,
it will probably use GNOME as the desktop and its apps as the defaults.

That's not to say that we wouldn't enable others to create something
KDE-based or xfce based.  Quite the opposite, we would encourage it.  We
just wouldn't spend a huge amount of time on it ourselves.

--Chris