Missing pkgconfig dependencies

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Mar 30 11:01:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 05:44:34 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:

>   Okay I have only one normative text for what pkgconfig is all about:
>
> man pkg-config
> -------------------------
> The pkg-config program is used to retrieve information about installed
> libraries in the system.  It is typically used  to  compile  and  link
> against  one or more libraries.  Here is a typical usage scenario in a
> Makefile:
> -------------------------
>
>   pkg-config is there to get library dependancies. Program needing fam or
> gamin support need it to get the libraries to link to. The output of
> pkgconfig cflags or link must *NOT* show glib output, even if from a
> packaging level, gamin requires glib for the server side. The fact that
> KDE requires fam or gamin, does not mean it should link against glib.
> So without further detailed information allowing to disambiguate using
> pkgconfig for it's original goal of simplifying compiling and linking from
> the added use as a packaging dependancy, bug #152486 is a WONTFIX for me.

Bug-specific replies are better added in bugzilla. I replied to #152486
already. gamin-devel's gamin.pc file creates a dependency on glib2-devel
for glib-2.0 and gthread-2.0 CFLAGS and LDFLAGS, see:

  pkg-config --cflags --ldflags gamin

That is a bug, if these are wrong and not needed. The fix for gamin-devel
then would be to drop these dependencies from the gamin.pc file instead
of adding "Requires: glib2-devel" to the rpm.