umask package policy

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon May 23 22:00:38 UTC 2005

ville.skytta at iki.fi (Ville Skyttä) writes:

>> Exactly; and to nitpick: simple 'Requires:' do not suffice, but
>> 'Requires(pre):' (and Requires(postun): ones) are needed.
>
> Using context marked dependencies like Requires(pre) to "solve" this is
> abuse, please don't do that.

Why abuse? There is no other way to say 'I require directory /foo before
my files will be installed' for a package. rpm could introduce a special
'filesystem' classifier so that the two 'Requires(pre|postun)' can be
replaced by a single one. But that's not backward compatible and will
probably never be implemented.

> Plain Requires is fine as long as there are no dependency loops
> involved.

Why should I trust in some preconditions which can never be guaranted
instead of enforcing the correct behavior?

Enrico