Free Software audit update

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Aug 21 03:46:33 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 12:28 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 06:52:53AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > No.
> >
> > > Lesstif obviously.
> >
> > Definitely non-obvious?
> >
> > Last time I checked, lesstif didn't really work "that well".
>
> Were the lesstif developpers reluctant on fixing the bugs?

Most major distros (e.g. SuSE and RedHat) abandoned Lesstif many years
ago, which had caused Lesstif to fall into the "black hole" of "nearly
dead projects".

> > To me, dropping OpenMotif would be real regression.
>
> openmotif isn't free software.
You know, OpenMotif is a corner case wrt. "OpenSource".

>  Doing that switch is important in my opinion.
I could not disagree more. I feel your opinion to be a fundamentalist's
position, making an issue where the isn't any.

OpenMotif has been part of most major Linux distros for many years.
I am not aware of any legal actions/threads against anybody because of
this.

> lesstif is known to work with most or all of the softwares shipped in fedora
> extras and core.
It is known not to work in many cases and in many case to require
hacking and patching to get it going.

Ralf