Free Software audit update

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 21 07:11:21 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>> To quote the opengroups motif faq (linked above) on this:
>> "Open Motif source code and binaries can be distributed royalty free
>> under The Open Group Public License as long as the operating system upon
>> which Open Motif is running meets the OSI's Open Source Definition"
> 1. Fedora is based on the OSI-definition itself => Non-issue

Fedora like you said is based on the OSI definition and all the software
in it needs to be open source.  Well established goals right from the
start.

> 2. royalty-free == licence fees ... RH business objective.
> Non-issue to Fedora itself.

Again, it does not meet Fedora packaging guidelines which is a direct
issue to Fedora.

> 3. If this was an issue to the opengroup, it's them who would have to
> sue RH (Who shipped OpenMotif as part of their $$$$ commercial linuxes)
> They have not done so for many years.

Noone claimed it was a legal issue.

>> Now royalty free does not sound very free software / oss to me.
> Yes, it's "religion". They are following a different OpenSource
> model/religion than Fedora/RH.

No. Their license does not meet either the OSI definition of open source
or Fedora packaging guidelines. There is no need to exclude openmotif as
a exception to the guidelines.

Rahul