Free Software audit update

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Aug 22 03:30:40 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 09:16 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > Most major distros (e.g. SuSE and RedHat) abandoned Lesstif many years
> > ago, which had caused Lesstif to fall into the "black hole" of "nearly
> > dead projects".
>
> debian doesn't count?
Not that much, because their "religiousness on OpenSource" makes one
essential difference to Fedora and is one core reason why people are
using Fedora. If I was "religious on OpenSource", I was using Debian,
and not wasting my time on Fedora.

If Fedora is heading down the same lane, there isn't much reason for
Fedora to exist.

> > > openmotif isn't free software.
> > You know, OpenMotif is a corner case wrt. "OpenSource".
>
> It is definitely not free software as defined by the OSI, and also because
> it is really not fres software: there are restrictions about using it
> on some platforms.
As well as is Qt (QPL).

> > OpenMotif has been part of most major Linux distros for many years.
> > I am not aware of any legal actions/threads against anybody because of
> > this.
>
> As said by others this is really not relevant, free software isn't
> 'redistributable in fedora' software.
I disagree. IMO, both OpenMotif and Fedora are redistributable.
The impact of the OpenMotif "royalty fee" clause doesn't impact Fedora,
because Fedora shipping GPL'ed SW has analogous side-effects on the
Fedora distro.

> > It is known not to work in many cases and in many case to require
> > hacking and patching to get it going.
>
> This is not a rela blocker, and shouldn't block complying with fedora
> goals anyway.

Great, function isn't of any importance in Fedora ...

Ralf