Free Software audit update

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Aug 23 06:03:15 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 05:11 -0400, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 05:30:40AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > > It is definitely not free software as defined by the OSI, and also because
> > > it is really not fres software: there are restrictions about using it
> > > on some platforms.
> > As well as is Qt (QPL).
>
> The QPL license doesn't restrict the platforms.
As a developer you can't contribute to QPL/GPL'ed (and other
dual/multiply licensed) packages back upstream without leaving the GPL.

=> Non-free sources.

It's the reason for me to want participate into KDE and not contribute
any patches to KDE/Qt based works.

>  If you want you can port
> the free Qt to windows.
Yes, ...

> It isn't as if anybody uses motif any more except
> xpdf
Agreed wrt. new OpenSource works, but many entities still have
(in-house, never publically released) packages around.

Ralf