Free Software audit update

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Aug 31 10:47:57 UTC 2006

Ralf Corsepius wrote :

> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 21:06 +0200, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 11:15:09AM -0500, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> >
> > > * Working hard to get lesstif in and openmotif out before FC-6.
> >
> > lesstif is built in fedora extras now.
> >
> > We can start rebuilding against lesstif now, but I don't think we should
> > remove openmotif hastily. The devel packages conflict but the packages
> > that contain the libs don't conflict. So a user that want to build his
> > own apps against openmotif can do it, and the libs are available for
> > linking even if lesstif is used to build.
> A fact, I consider to be a fault of FE QA and bad design of yours.
>
> You should have packaged lesstif in such a way both openmotif-devel and
> lesstif-devel can be installed in parallel.

If lesstif is to be considered a straight drop-in replacement for
openmotif, then I don't really see why this is a fault or a bad design.
Here, packagers will just need to s/openmotif-devel/lesstif-devel/ and
have their application link against lesstif. No further changes
required is something I'd consider positive (i.e. no need to force an
include or library path for motif). Furthermore, since the idea is to
completely drop openmotif ASAP, this is really a low priority (almost
'non') issue IMHO.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 5.91 (FC6 Test2) - Linux kernel 2.6.17-1.2600.fc6
Load : 1.56 1.65 1.65