Package EVR problems in FC+FE 2006-12-02

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Dec 4 12:37:06 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 06:08:06AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > This a stupid and broken script in smart's source
> > > (contrib/ksmarttray/admin/cvs.sh).
> > >
> > > Either fix this script, kickass upstream to fix it or abandon
> > > ksmarttray.
> >
> > This script is an old copy from kde's sdk, it's no invention from
> > smart.
> >
> > In fact this shows that pregenerating files (in this case by
> > copying a static version over) can be more harmful than generating
> > in %build.
>
> BS.

Please Ralf, you're getting off track with your choice of language,
why?

> This freaking script is trying to dynamically generate a auto*
> *source* files and badly stumbles over its feet, because
>
> a) its buggy (The version checks are completely non-functional)
> b) they are abusing the autotools

Great, this is a script from kdesdk, so try complaining to
upstream, e.g. kde developers. smart is just a consumer.

> > > Sorry, Axel, this is nonsense.
> >
> > Really? Try in an arbitray project
> >
> > touch configure.ac configure
> > and then watch how make will try to regenerate configure.
>
> C'mon, you really should know better.

So could be said of you. I'd prefer arguments instead of hand waving,
though. The issue stands: If you patch master and generated files and
their dependency is cast in always enabled Makefile rules you lose.

> > That will redefine your perception of "nonsense" ;)

> Nope, you are spreading FUD.

Well, have it as you like. People that have done packaging which
involved patching configure and configure.ac will know that this is
reality and no FUD at all.

But foremost, please stop using words like "nonsense", "BS" and the
like, let's keep it attribute-free, OK?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net