Heads-up: python 2.5 on its way

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Dec 6 21:17:51 UTC 2006

This is just a heads up that I'm in the progress of getting python 2.5
staged for the development tree.  At this point, I'm doing the build on
the side and trying to get a good chunk of the Core packages rebuilt
against it before pushing to the development tree itself.  I'm still
hoping to be able to do the actual move over either later today or
tomorrow (depending on how fast the Core build system decides to be)

Full list of changes is available at
http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/whatsnew25.html, but some of the
important high points that are somewhat likely to be hit:
1) python-elementtree is now included with python, but the import is a
little bit different
2) pysqlite is included, but a newer version than was previously
included in Fedora.  This ends up requiring a decent set of changes

I'll send another note once I've actually moved the packages so that
they'll definitely be hitting rawhide, but wanted to help make sure
people understood it was coming (especially as I commit things to core
CVS but the builds aren't showing up in rawhide)

Jeremy