Offline: 2006-12-23 Through 2007-01-01

Peter Gordon peter at thecodergeek.com
Sun Dec 17 23:02:14 UTC 2006

Hello, all.

As I have noted on the Vacation wiki page [1] for the past couple of
months, I will be away from December 23 (next Saturday) through the new
year (on out-of-state vacation with family). During this time, I ask
that other packagers and contributors maintain my packages [2] for me,
watching for updates, bug reports (especially security issues that may
potentially arise), needed rebuilds, et al. My current plans for each
are as follows:

* glabels
All branches (FC-5, FC-6, devel) are currently tracking the stable 2.0.x
release series. When I return, however, I plan to bump the Devel branch
to track the newer 2.1.x series. (This is tentative and pending further
discussion on the upstream development list.)

* gaim-libnotify
This is for Gaim 2.x (currently beta in Core of FC6+), and thus only has
branches for FC-6 and devel. Both are tracking the upstream releases.
Version 0.12 is currently the latest, but 0.13 is a work in progress
with some bug fixes and re-additions of some features for the gaim
2.0-beta4 API (such as new-conversation-only notifications).

* gnome-applet-music
Upstream on this has been quiet, but active nonetheless. A bug-fix
release (proper rhythmbox song change notification, updated
translations, etc.) is currently in the upstream development tree.

* gnome-theme-clearlooks-big pack and lucidlife
Both of these packages have active upstreams, but are in a state of "It
works nicely; so not much actual development is needed."
I have the source tarball for gnome-theme-clearlooks-bigpack mirrored on
my webspace to keep it versioned. Should a new version be out while I am
away, I ask that someone else with some webspace rename it similarly and
host it, since upstream has said that they do not want to name their
tarballs with versions (which makes our job as packagers just a tad more
difficult, unfortunately...)

* labyrinth
Don Scorgie (the main upstream developer of this) recently announced [3]
that he is finishing up his Ph.D and going on a job hunt; and therefore
won't have nearly as much time for Labyrinth hacking; but it is still in
active (though quiet) development and there are several things he wants
to review/commit when the opportunity arises.

* obconf, obmenu, and openbox
I no longer use these three (having recently placed them in the
Potential Orphans category [4]), but I still try to keep them updated
and watch for bug reports, et al. If anyone wants to take these as
primary maintainers, especially active users of these, please feel free
to do so. (Edit owners.list as appropriate; and re-assign any open bug
reports to yourself.)

* ots
The current release (0.4.2) is somewhat older (from November of 2003);
and  a new version has been in development for quite some time. While no
timeline of it is tentatively scheduled, it is used by the AbiWord
summarizer plugin; and the previous maintainer of this in Extras
(Michael Knox) had other obligations [5] to attend to. A demo of the
next version is available (as Flash, unfortunately...) on their webpage
[6].

* scribes and scribes-templates
This is quiet for now, but development will pickup again soon. Many of
us are experiencing seemingly random errors whereby the .scribesclient
script hangs and causes a processor-intensive zombie task; and work is
underway to triage this (as it is a very big pain in butt). However, it
is very difficult to reproduce; and thus difficult to debug as well
(tracking in upstream SourceForge bug #1617598).

* viaideinfo
This is another package that is in a mature-but-updated state. Its
developer (Daniel Drake of kernel fame) adds new hardware IDs and
whatnot from time to time, and therefore releases new versions.

Thanks!

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Vacation
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PeterGordon#StuffIMaintain
[3]
http://mail-archive.com/labyrinth-devel@googlegroups.com/msg00067.html
[4] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/OrphanedPackages#incoming
[5]
https://redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2006-September/msg00435.html
[6] http://libots.sourceforge.net/demo1.html
--
Peter Gordon (codergeek42)
  DD68 A414 56BD 6368 D957 9666 4268 CB7A FFC1 9479