Packaging committee report 2006-12-19

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 20:09:14 UTC 2006

On 12/19/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 December 2006 14:52, Christopher Stone wrote:
> > Shouldn't it just be 1 release? We do not encourage upgrading from
> > FC3 to FC5 for example...
>
> With changes to the lifespan, we're specifically setting this up as a
> possibility.  Whether or not this works for the first couple releases remains
> to be seen.

Oh it may work, but the probability of it working 100% correctly
diminishes pretty dramatically I would assume.  Personally I think it
is a bad idea and we should always encourage people to upgrade one
distro release at a time.

In my real-world experience, I have a package, namely pygame, that has
a bunch of obsolete/provides from livna and other sources and I
*really* want to trim these down as much as possible for FC-7 because
it just added a few more with all the -devel sub package shenanigans.