icon cache scriplet guideline update

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Dec 20 14:52:51 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 15:07 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 20.12.2006 14:43, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Callum Lerwick wrote:
> >> Either the the package postinstall script sets some flag somehow that
> >> the script sees, or better yet, the script is provided a list of all
> >> modified/added/removed files, which it can simply grep through, and make
> >> decisions like "Something changed in /usr/share/icons, better update the
> >> cache" or "Something changed in /usr/lib, better run ldconfig".
>
> Well, ldconfig should probably be started directly, as other packages
> might want to start using the just installed package in their scripts.

Hmm, forgot about that. Is there a reason that the dynamic linker can't
be made so that if it fails to find something in the cache, it falls
back to a direct search through the filesystem? Or just trigger a cache
update then and there?

Another one I thought of, is getting rid of the damned prelink cron job,
which has all the same problems that the "lets have an icon cache update
cron job!" idea has and was rejected for. Run it post transaction, which
is what Apple's updater does. Its the "Optimizing System Performance"
step that takes a really loooong time, so we'd definitely want to
trigger it in the *background* somehow. :)