Summary from yesterdays (mini) FESCo meeting

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Dec 29 16:32:05 UTC 2006

> On Friday 29 December 2006 09:00, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > The decision went towards a proposed new rule: "the reviewer has to at
> > least mention that he checked the license, if the sources match upstream
> > and 5 other points he checked when approving a package". Dgilmore will
> > post to f-e-l about this whole thing in more detail and start a public
> > discussion before FESCo discusses this further.
>
> hrm, you must wear at least 5 pieces of flair...  Seriously, a rule like this
> just encourages folks to check 5 things only and move on.  If rules were set
> in place to make 5 specific things mandatory, that's all that will be
> checked.  Lets not give reviewers a shortcut out.  I'd be more in favor of a
> rule that just says "items checked need to be listed out in the review before
> building of the package will be allowed".  Vague enough as to not give
> reviewers a shortcut.

So, you should just copy and paste all of the guidelines into the
review? :-)  Because the fact that the package follows the guidelines is
what is supposed to be checked, not just some subset.

A much better check and balance is exactly what happened in this case;
dgilmore saw something suspicious and held off on the branch request.
The next step would be either just doing just sort of a quick review or
asking someone else to do a quick pass with such a review... such random
and spot checks of reviews will go a long way towards verification.

Jeremy