FC7 plan comments

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Sat Dec 30 23:01:11 UTC 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 02:58:07PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> 18. Move to using libata for PATA support
>
> Please keep me and Alan Cox in the loop on this.
>
> NOTE: You might need some intelligence in mkinitrd to avoid adding
> spurious drivers such as pata_generic or ata_generic to the initrd,
> after matching more specific pata_* drivers.

pata_generic has a real device list it grabs so that one is fine. _legacy
is for ISA/VLB only so not needed.

> J2) Drop support for any hardware that does not support -march=i686

Just fix the ****ing compiler to generate i686 code for -march=i686. The
compiler has been broken for years in using cmov and now on PIV and later
cmov is a lose the only excuse they had for not fixing it has gone away.

If the compiler stops generating wrong code then i586 goes away and we lose
nothing newer than a preventium/MMX