Classes (was Re: New printer administration tool design for comments)

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 12:13:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 08:31:34PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> 2.12 Queue routing
>
> 2.12.1 Printer groups
>
> The user must be able to create aliases for groups of printers, and
> print to the group in apps (with the job sent to the first printer in
> the group which is available and ready)
>
> For roaming users which have access to several networked printers (some
> of which may be on another physical site) the choice of the preferred
> printer in the one group may be based on user location (dhcp hints,
> hostname, whatever)

In CUPS terminology these are "classes".  Yes, the administration tool
could configure classes (it can be done using IPP).  I would rather
avoid having user-defined classes, though -- system classes should be
sufficient.

Perhaps that would be something to look at after the initial
implementation is done.  In other words, it's something we can make
sure is possible to implement in the future without having to change
anything fundamental.

> 2.12.2 Rescue jobs
>
> When jobs are stuck in the queue of a printer which is no longer
> responding or stuck somewhere, and if other queues with compatible
> characteristics (same PS level and paper...) are available or created
> later, the print jobs should be routed (automatically or after prompting
> the user) to these new queues

I don't think that CUPS is capable of this.

Tim.
*/