That name game...

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Feb 20 21:10:39 UTC 2006

> On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 15:45 -0500, Ed Hill wrote:
> > used for finding paths when traversing terrain.  I have no idea whether
> > it was used by teams competing in the popular DARPA Grand Challenge
> > autonomous vehicle races but it certainly looks related.
> >
> > In any case, here are two names known for their association with
> > optimization algorithms.  And, they have *plenty* of connections to
> > other topics so they are a "way out" from the current (rather boring)
> > city-names rut:
>
> That's pretty close to the Skipjack (7.3 beat 1) and Enigma (7.2) name
> link, encryption algorithms.  Seems like we'd be repeating ourselves,
> but thats just my opinion.  I could still see pushing it through Legal.

Yes, encryption and optimization are both "math topics".

But thats about where the connection begins and ends.  The aims of
encryption and the mathematical methods used to implement it are very
different than the aims, tools, and syntax of optimization.  And even in
non-technical language, the words have very different connotations.

The fact that "Bordeaux" is another city is as much (or more) of a
connection to some of the previously used names.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307