beagle

Stephen J. Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:24:45 UTC 2006

On 1/12/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 20:49 +0100, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> > First it wasn't even fit for Fedora, and now it goes straight in Core. And
> > we tried so hard not to make Extras a second-class citizen...
> > Nevermind.
> >

> beagle got pulled in because it was needed for some new nautilus search
> features which make use of beagle.  The side effect is that all sorts of
> other things now could use beagle, but we just haven't coded for them
> yet.  (or at all).  We just haven't made any decisions regarding this.

OK please don't take this as Monday morning quarterbacking but ideas
from someone who has lived the hell of release time lessons learned
for the future. As in the next time a last minute addition to the core
system is going to be done (which will be about 2-3 releases if
normal).

1) Lock down Fedora Core 5 without mono.
2) Have what you want to say to the community ready so you aren't
making another deficit withdrawal from the trust bank.
3) Get the other apps ready for mono, desktop searching etc,
4) Set up a special DESKTOP yum repository that would be available.
    Put mono, etc in it.
5) Tell the community why/how things have gotten better to the best of
what can be said from Red Hat legal about probably non-public
agreements.
6) Tell the community about the DESKTOP repository and what it will have in it.
7) Finish off Fedora Core 5 without getting 3-4 more core engineers
quiting and going to rpath/novell/etc.
8) Combine beagle into FC5/rawhide.
9) If it works out well put it in as package updates for FC5 like
KDE3.5 etc have been done.
10) Roll these neat things into RHEL5

--
Stephen J Smoogen.