more Core dependency data

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Fri Jun 23 12:37:29 UTC 2006

> On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 03:01 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > > xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse
> >
> > This driver was just added recently for VMware, and should remain
> > in Core and in future RHEL releases as well, in order to be able
> > to optimally install the OS inside VMware, and to run X inside
> > VMware post-install out of the box.
>
> Why does it matter if it is in Core or Extras?  How is it getting
> installed to the users system?  Is it in Comps somewhere, as a default
> or required package?  Or is it someting that users have to yum install
> foo after the install if they want it.  If that's the case, why can't it
> live in Extras?

Slight tangent below:

Remember that moving packages from Core to Extras isn't necessarily a 5
minute task.  It needs a maintainer, and that maintainer has to have
gotten sponsored according to the Extras process.  And since Red Hat
engineers are not automatically sponsored, it requires extra effort from
them to move it if they wish to continue to maintain it.  That may also
be a reason for some resistance.

Do I think this is a reason to not move packages?  Certainly not.  It's
just an observation.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled email.

josh