some minor Core pruning

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Wed Jun 28 01:17:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 01:04:06AM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> "There's no excuse for Sendmail being in core, is there? It duplicates
> basic functionality which is provided by Postfix."

Not in the real world.

Sendmail is the expected norm. Its like buying a car and finding it comes
with wheels. Tracks may offer more functionality, hovercraft may offer more
excitement, but the default expectation is wheels.

Ditto sendmail as mail server.

We have a lot of "best of breed" stuff in Extras precisely because its not
the expected norm. Thus joe is in extras and vi is in core.

Alan