Re: Packages with "fc6" name in Fedora 7

Panu Matilainen wrote:
On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Hi

The current thinking seems to be to just ignore them* but this is guaranteed to result in a lot of confusion. When end users do a distribution upgrade via yum or Anaconda, some of the packages might not have been updated to the Fedora 7 version due to incorrect packaging or other issues while the rest are packages which are deliberated not rebuild to avoid churn. Debugging a end user system with such a mix of packages is very painful.

Dist tags considered harmful... :) RHEL 5 suffers from this same syndrome, it has loads of packages tagged "fc6" which I could imagine causing quite a bit of confusion as well.

Since you ask, this is one of the main reasons I said it is guaranteed to cause confusion. If anybody can calculate the amount of money Red Hat loses in having support people attend to such issues I would doubt they would consider it merely a cosmetic issue anymore.

Rahul