Moodle: language packs and FC-4

Jerry James Jerry.James at usu.edu
Wed Apr 11 18:29:22 UTC 2007

I've just taken over maintenance of moodle.  I'm planning to update the
FC-5 and FC-6 branches to 1.6.5 to fix some security problems.  I'm also
going to update the devel branch to 1.8 for the same reason, and because
we might as well get the latest version into devel.  I need some advice
on two questions I have.

First, CVS has an FC-4 directory under moodle.  Do I need to maintain
that?  I thought FC 4 had been end-of-lifed.  As a general interest
question, when a distribution is end-of-lifed, do package maintainers
need to do anything special to dump the affected directories, or does
some CVS administrator work magic to make them disappear eventually?

Second, the current moodle RPM copies everything in the source directory
install/lang to lang.  This results in the language files being included
in the main RPM twice, once in each place, and also in individual
language RPMs.  In addition to this goof, some previous packager
misunderstood the purpose of those files.  They are not supposed to be
moved out of install/lang.  They are language files for the installation
process only, which we partially automate anyway.  The language files
for actual use are here:

   http://download.moodle.org/lang16/

The language file names do not change as they are updated.  However,
there is a date stamp on that web page for each language file, allowing
us to keep track of which version is in a given RPM.  I can see two ways
of dealing with this situation, each with pros and cons.

1) Download all of the language files and include them in one monolithic
   moodle SRPM.  Split out the installation and use files for each
   language into a language subpackage.  This lets us keep all the files
   for a particular language in one place, but means that anytime an
   individual language file gets updated, we have to rebuild the whole
   thing.

2) Embrace the fact that the installation language files are small (a
   few hundred bytes to a few K apiece), and partially unnecessary
   anyway.  Just put them into the main moodle package (once!).  Create
   separate SRPMs for each language file with the date stamp for the
   version number.  Now language packs can be updated individually, but
   this also means that I will suddenly be the maintainer for 60+
   additional packages in which I have no personal interest.

Any advice?  Thanks,
Jerry James, Assistant Professor        Jerry.James at usu.edu
Computer Science Department             http://www.cs.usu.edu/~jerry/
Utah State University