Using Koji for building Extras

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Thu Apr 12 19:16:56 UTC 2007

On Thursday 12 April 2007 01:50:39 pm Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Thursday 12 April 2007, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> Just a couple of quick questions:
> > While we don't feel comfortable with the build resources to move Core
> > over to koji, we obviously have enough resources to build Extras.
>
> Hm, in terms of package numbers inside one arch, Extras devel is over twice
> the size of Core devel.  Just curious what makes Core's build resource
> demands obviously higher than Extras'?  More archs, more big packages to
> build?
more big packages. kernel, OOo, Eclipse, gcc, glibc   things that take a long
time to build and see semi frequent builds.

> > What do you all think of this plan, or the idea in general of getting
> > Extras to use Koji now, while we wait for more hardware to be able to
> > merge in Core?
>
> Hard to say; what does moving to koji mean for the Joe Average packager,
> and is there something in it that is required ASAP and plague doesn't do?
> Without knowledge of such things, I tend to think making the move at the
> same time for both and also making it possible for ex-Core packages to have
> dependencies on ex-Extras ones also at the same time would sound quite
> natural.  Not enough info to have a strong opinion though.
for average joe package they run the script to setup the koji environment
that is in the koji package.  they then run make build .

on thing thats different is that koji shows you the progress on the console.
you dont have to watch this if you dont want to  but can follow a builds
progress.

--
Dennis Gilmore, RHCE