Question on how to handled "GPL with exceptions" in a package review.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Tue Apr 17 19:19:10 UTC 2007

Christopher Aillon wrote:

> In the post I replied to, I saw no disclaimers nor mention of who, if
> anybody, in legal you asked.

When I wrote some licensing related articles for Red Hat I have been
involved with Red Hat legal. I have also talked with FSF extensively on
GPL related issues on various occasions including Eben Moglen in this
specific topic in person.

  On top of that, you ended with a note that
> it "seems ok" to you, which can be construed as legal advice.

"Seems ok to me" is specifically meant to clarify that this is  a
personal judgmental call rather than as a clear cut legal statement.

When we deal with legal issues we either work by consensus which is way
faster or go to the legal team for additional clarifications on
instances which is way slower. We do work as a community and judge the
licenses ourselves in every single package review. Are you suggesting
that we consult Red Hat legal on every single license?

Rahul