Spilt libperl from perl

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Apr 24 13:04:23 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 22:36 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 10:21:03PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> >> Actually 2 is a problem that multilib doesn't solve, I've written some
> >> scripts / hacks to be able to build i386 on x86_64 without using mock
> >> because I have a slow link and thus mock used to take eons, now it only
> >> takes ages (--autocache rules!). However these scripts were a big hack, and
> >> even with this big hack things didn't always work properly. Using mock is
> >> the only sane way to build i386 packages on an x86_64 install.
> >
> > I am not very knowledgable in those issues, but what about those who
> > just want to do a ./configure with the right flags/environemnt vars
> > to specifically build an i386 package in an x86_64 install.
> >

> That won't work unless you're really really lucky, most configure scripts and
> makefiles are not written with this in mind, and thus fail miserably.
Multilib support is built into GCC. It will automatically link "the
correct libraries" based on the CFLAGS being used to configure.

E.g. to be able to build i386 binaries on x86_64, you'd have to have a
multilib'ed GCC installed (In RH terms: both gcc.i386 and gcc.x86_64 and
all required libraries installed in parallel).

Then a configure CFLAGS="-m32" --libdir=/usr/lib should work out of the
box.

> Also things like pkg-config for example will still look under
> /usr/lib64/pkgconfig even when run with/through setarch i386.
Right pkg-config is an issue of its own. It lacks multilib support.

Ralf